Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sand Castle Days

With Jon gone out into the field for a week, I needed to think of something to do with Benjamin instead of sitting around the house all day. I was told about Sand Castle Days, which are held down at South Padre Island. Thinking it was only a 2 hour drive I decided Ben would enjoy it, so why not. Well, the night before we left, after telling Ben about it, I checked the directions and it ended up being a 5 hour drive. So I debated whether to drive 2 hours to Corpus Christi or trek all the way to South Padre. Saturday morning we got up and ready for a long drive. As we approached the split to Corpus Christi or South Padre, I headed towards South Padre. Ben had continually been talking about the sand castles with such enthusiasm I didn't want to disappoint. He did really well for the car ride down, he entertained himself with coloring, singing, reading, playing with cars, and just talking. We made it down to South Padre and saw that many people were wearing face masks. At first I thought people were maybe a little too paranoid about the swine flu. Once we opened the car door I knew that wasn't what it was. The wind was so fierce from the ocean that it was either sand or sea salt in the air and people had a hard time breathing. After getting over the initial shock of it Ben and I ventured to the beach and looked at the Sand Castles being built by professionals and a few amateurs. Ben thought they were pretty neat. We then found a spot on the beach that Ben was able to do his own digging, building, and playing. We were there for almost 3 hours and Ben didn't want to go home, but we had a 5 hour drive ahead of us and I didn't want to get home too late. Ben had fun with the sand and the water. I can't believe that it's the middle of October and we were out in our shorts playing in the ocean and sand. I'm glad I was a brave mom and made the long trek down. It was well worth it not sitting around the house all day and having the happy boy I had for several hours.

No comments: