Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas

We spent Christmas, this year, by ourselves for the first time. For several weeks now leading up to Christmas, Benjamin has been watching the Polar Express every day. I even took him and Andrew to see a short version at Sea World which Ben loved and still asks to go see it again. We had a nice quiet Christmas, but a little strange because we weren't traveling anywhere and no one was coming to us. We had our big dinner on Christmas Eve. I made a ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, rolls, and a pecan pie for dessert. Since Andrew was sleeping and Benjamin wanted to play instead of eat it was really just Jon and I, which made it feel no different than a normal night. We taught Ben about setting out cookies and a carrot for Santa and his reindeer. We then read the Christmas story out of the picture bible and Ben headed to bed. In the morning I was in the kitchen starting breakfast when Ben came down. He looked at the tree and then headed to our room where I heard him hop into bed with Jon and then ask where I was. When he came back out and saw me he also saw the plate of cookies was empty and asked where the cookies for Santa was. I told him Santa had come and left presents. He then started to get excited and went over to the tree. Ben would randomly open a few presents, play for awhile and then open a few more. I think it took us over 4 hours to open everything and even then there were 2 more of Andrews presents that weren't open until the next day. Jon and I just gave each other money this year and he asked if I would be sad not opening anything for Christmas. I never understood why my mom would wait to open her presents at Christmas, and now I finally understand. It's all about the kids. Jon did get me a little something to open (a gift card to a spa!), but it was so much fun just watching Ben and his excitement in opening the presents and seeing what he got. The magic of Christmas has changed for me, in a good way.
Benjamin in his Christmas outfit for church from Grandma Andreas. It was a hot day that day so we took the jacket off. Still, so cute!
The plate of cookies Ben set out for Santa. He insisted that he needed a banana and mushroom to go with them.
Benjamin opening his stocking. Unfortunately this year the stocking weren't very full. Santa will need to bring socks and underwear next year to help fill them up.
Benjamin loves his new Penguin. He has gone to bed every night with it since Christmas. The day after Christmas he carried it around the house with him all day.
Andrew filled with so much excitement he can't contain himself. Such a cute baby!
Benjamin playing with his new addition to his train set. He plays with his trains constantly.
All the loot! Santa brought Benjamin the Chutes and Ladders game and Andrew the stacking balls. Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Andreas most of the gifts were given. Under the tree would have been pretty sparse if they hadn't been so generous. They also got matching shirts from Grandpa Wood and Carolyn (sorry Carolyn but they will not be wearing them at the same time. Maybe once for a picture for you). They were given money from Grandma and Grandpa Christensen. Grandma and Grandpa Canton sent Ben money and Andrew an outfit. Great Grandpa Wood sent all of us money. And Uncle Cory and Aunt Niki sent gift cards to target. Jon and I got a gift card to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants here from his dad and money from everyone else, which we are still trying to decide what to get with it. Thank you everyone for your generous thoughts and sending us and the boys something for Christmas.

2 comments:

Lark said...

I figured out how to post comments now. I loved seeing all the presents under the tree. It helped me be a part of your Christmas too. I want to play trains with Ben now! And snuggle that cute little Andrew. Love you all, Lark, Mom or Grandma

Emily Reese said...

Looks like you all had a merry christmas. Ben's train set is very impressive! Love, Emily