Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Potty Training

We started Potty Training Benjamin about 2 weeks ago. For those who want to know this is what we did. I was very nervous at first to start, I didn't really know what to expect. We bought him a "potty" several months ago and he would sit on it and mimic going, wiping his bottom, and flushing the toilet. We then bought him some "big boy underpants." He would want to open the package and we told him only when he started going potty on the toilet would he get to open and wear them. A week later we bought "potty treats." I put them on the counter to entice him. He would ask for one and I told him they were potty treats and only when he went "pee or poop" in the potty did he get one. Finally a week later I got the courage to start. It was going to be a cold week, so I figured it was a great time to stay home and try. I kept him naked so I could watch more carefully for the signs. Finally, on the first day after sitting with him for about 45 minutes did he finally go pee in the potty. We've had several accidents these past weeks and much to clean up, but I am so proud of our little boy and how much he has accomplished. He has almost mastered knowing and telling us when he needs to pee. Poop is another thing. I think he went in the potty once and in his pants three times today. I keep reminding myself to be patient and not get upset with him. It'll come. I'm just glad that we are getting this done before we move.

3 comments:

Carie Annie said...

way to go with potty training! Hang in there, I'm going through the same thing with my two year old as well... I can't wait for it to click!

CJF said...

I'm not quite there yet with our little one but good luck with yours! That is a funny picture..haha!

CJF said...

Not quite there with our little one but good luck with yours! by the way hilarious picture!