Sunday, November 8, 2009

What's In A Name

Who knew that naming a child would be so hard. When we named Benjamin we liked the name and when he came out he looked like a Benjamin, Easy! When we went to the hospital this time we had the names Andrew and Zachary. However, when he came out he looked so much like Ben that it was hard to see him as either of the names we had. Poor Jon was trying to go through a list of names and I would either say no or not really respond. I just could see him with any name, plus I was exhausted that I wanted to sleep instead. That night I kept looking at him wondering what to name him and what he looked like. When Jon came the next morning we still hadn't made any progress. We finally had about 5 names that we could agree on. We liked Zach for a name but liked Samuel better, but not Sam. So Jon wrote his top four: Andrew, Zachary, Samuel, Matthew. I wrote mine: Zachary, Samuel, Matthew, Michael. Since Zachary was sort of at the top of the list for both of us that's what we chose. I was still unsure of the name and tried to get Jon to just name our child so I didn't have to decide. It was getting close to time to leave the hospital and Jon had to go and fill out the paper work. So we decided on Zachary Ian. Jon went to Admissions to fill out all the information. While he was gone I was up in the room with my mom, Van and Ben. Then Van said, "Ben, let's go get Zachary's car seat." Something hit me that the name didn't sound right. I went through all the names we were thinking of in that sentence and decided I like Andrew best. Jon came back and I asked him was he thought of Zachary. He said he didn't like it. He was going to try and change it but the guy wouldn't let him since it was already in the computer. He said that he liked Andrew best and I told him what had just happen to me. So I went down to Admissions. Thank goodness a very nice girl there said it happens a lot and I was able to change the name. We hadn't chosen a middle name to go with Andrew so I sat there for a few minutes and decided that Ian would be best. When she brought the paper work back it looked so much better with Andrew. So we chose Andrew because we liked it and it sounded best and Ian because it's another name for Jon. I now understand how hard it can be sometimes to name a child.

3 comments:

Katie and Eric said...

Congratulations! Andrew is adorable. I am glad that everyone is doing well.

Krista said...

try to come up with 2 (of the same gender) at the same time!!! i'm going nuts here. Any other boy suggestions???

Katie said...

I loved your story. My parents went through a similar situation with me. I really like the name you all chose. Congratulations!