This Spring we enrolled Benjamin into soccer with the local community soccer group. I was all excited to get Ben out there and get some energy burned off. But Ben has a mind of his own and had different plans. For the most part he enjoyed going. There were days he didn't want to be there and would pout while at practice. He started off by introducing himself as Captain Hook. Anytime someone would call him by his given name he would say, "I'm not Ben, I'm Captain Hook." Thus, he was known by his coaches as Captain Hook. It was hilarious watching all of the 4-5 year olds play. The majority of them were coordinated enough to follow the ball. Some, like Ben, were in their own little world. He would chase after the balls sometimes, but the majority of the time he was running in the opposite direction as everyone else. He was more concerned about kicking around the dirt then the ball. And then the rest of the time he was either standing around or coming up to Jon and I to let us know what he just did. But by the end of the season he was following the ball more and he actually kicked the ball. Jon seemed a little less the impressed by the games, but that's what parents have to do when their child is just starting out. You can't expect pro players at this age. And Andrew was more then happy playing with the soccer equipment to let the time pass. We'll see if Ben has a future in this, but for now, I think he would rather be doing something else.
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Benjamin Playing Soccer
This Spring we enrolled Benjamin into soccer with the local community soccer group. I was all excited to get Ben out there and get some energy burned off. But Ben has a mind of his own and had different plans. For the most part he enjoyed going. There were days he didn't want to be there and would pout while at practice. He started off by introducing himself as Captain Hook. Anytime someone would call him by his given name he would say, "I'm not Ben, I'm Captain Hook." Thus, he was known by his coaches as Captain Hook. It was hilarious watching all of the 4-5 year olds play. The majority of them were coordinated enough to follow the ball. Some, like Ben, were in their own little world. He would chase after the balls sometimes, but the majority of the time he was running in the opposite direction as everyone else. He was more concerned about kicking around the dirt then the ball. And then the rest of the time he was either standing around or coming up to Jon and I to let us know what he just did. But by the end of the season he was following the ball more and he actually kicked the ball. Jon seemed a little less the impressed by the games, but that's what parents have to do when their child is just starting out. You can't expect pro players at this age. And Andrew was more then happy playing with the soccer equipment to let the time pass. We'll see if Ben has a future in this, but for now, I think he would rather be doing something else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment