Thursday, July 28, 2011

Houston: Warning! Photo Overload


With Jon doing his away rotation in Houston the kids and I followed him for a little while. We headed down with him and spent a few days. I was planning on spending a whole week and not coming back, but with being pregnant the sleeping arrangments were making me tired. The boys shared the one room, which they were up late and early in the morning. Jon and I were on an air mattress in the living room, which was fine, but I really wanted my bed back. So we stayed a few days and then came back another weekend to finish all the sites that we wanted to see while we were down there. The first few days we were there Jon was working so the kids and I ventured off on our own. We were located right down town so Jon would walk to work and the boys and I would take the train everywhere. The first three days we went to the Zoo (which was free for miltary), the Children's Museum, and the NASA Space Center. We didn't get any pictures since the boys just wanted me to play with them in the jungle gym that they have their. Also, near the end Ben and a little collision with something, he wouldn't say, but was bleeding and we had to take care of that. After I think he just wanted to go home so we left. The zoo was fun, we saw a baby elephant and a few other cool things. The boys really wanted to ride the train there so we stayed for a little bit, but then went back with Jon on a later date.
The Children's Museum was a big hit. Even though I still prefer the Strong Museum in Rochester, the kids had a lot of fun here. Benjamin showed his artistic abilities with paint. Too bad we forgot the picture, but at least I took a picture of him making it. And they also spend the majority of the time outside at the water station. I think Ben would have stayed there all day if I would have let him and we didn't have to get back to have Andrew take a nap, myself included. I did love watching them as they played and tried to figure things out. You can just see the wheels in their heads turning as they try to see how the different things work and see what they can do to manipulate the objects. Especially Ben with the lock system.

When we came back the second time we headed to the Aquarium and then to Galveston with Jon. The Aquarium was very small and mostly just a little amusement park. We walked through the aquarium rather quickly since the boys just wanted to ride the rides. We had unlimited rides so I didn't care. We rode the Ferris wheel several times, the carrousel, the train ride took us under a tank of sharks (the boys LOVED this one), a little splash pad and a ride that Ben rode all by himself going high into the air and dropping.
Our last adventure was going to Galveston with Jon for the day. The boys of course LOVED it. Jon is not much of a beach person, so he can only handle so long and so many sand castles before he heads to the car to make phone calls. Andrew was hesitant about the water, but that was fine, he hung out with me on the beach and of course ate a lot of sand, but what do you expect from an 18 month old. Ben was great with the water this year. Last year he would hardly go into the water unless either Jon or I were holding him. This year he went straight into the water without hesitating. I was so proud of him. I loved watching him venture off into the water on his own and not whining that he need one of us to be with him. It was a great month with a lot of different activities but I sure am glad to have it over with and my whole family back in San Antonio.

No comments: